Lentil and Bacon Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 x 70g packs pancetta cubes
- 1 carrot (about 120g), finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, sliced
- 2 low-salt stock cubes
- 250g red lentils, rinsed
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, 1 pack of pancetta and the carrot. Cook on a low to medium heat for 10 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, garlic and chilli and cook for a further 1 - 2 minutes
- Pour in 1.25 litres of boiling water, crumble in the stock cubes and add the lentils. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 mins, stirring occasionally to ensure the lentils aren't sticking.
- Meanwhile, fry the remaining lardons in a small frying pan for about 10 minutes until crispy.
- Serve the soup with a sprinkle of crispy lardons on top